Sunday, May 13, 2012

Homeward Bound

When I think about coming home from deployment, I mostly think about BWI airport and how great it'll be to see my family for the first time in 6 months. But the process of going home is actually a lot more involved than that.

The first step was to drive from HQ to Kabul International Airport (aka KAIA). But before that could happen,  I had to find out my flight information. Every leg of this journey gets scheduled at the last minute, which made it a bit difficult to plan ahead.

Two days in advance, I was told the date I'd fly out of KAIA. No time, just a date. On the day before my departure, I caught a ride up to KAIA - still not knowing what time my flight would actually take off. On the evening of the day before departure, I got the flight time for the following day... but they couldn't tell me when I'll land in Manas. And I still have no idea when I'll leave Manas... or when I'll be home.

Guess it's like they say - you only need to be able to see the next step, and you can make the whole journey that way. And I'm definitely heading in the right direction. Not long now!

No comments: