Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I (Didn't) Get Around

I didn't get to see much of Afghanistan while I was here, which is just fine with me. Mostly. Part of me does wish I'd been able to get out a bit more.

The decision to refrain from battlefield tourism was a deliberate one, motivated as much out of a desire to not expend resources unnecessarily and to not expose a drive team to danger as any sense of personal safety. But yes, part of the calculus here had to do with the risk of IED's versus the opportunity to take a few pictures.

The few times I was able to get out and see some of the city were definitely interesting. The place looks like nothing I've ever seen in the US. The word "crumbling" pretty much describes the predominant architectural style. The donkey carts, women in burkas and soldiers everywhere created an ambiance that wasn't quite appealing or welcoming, but at the same time held an undeniable fascination.


No comments: