Saturday, October 8, 2011

Acclimating

When I first started carrying my rifle here at CAST, it was awkward (and heavy). My right hand held the pistol grip just fine, but my left hand couldn't quite hold the muzzle correctly.

We're supposed to carry it in a "depressed ready" position, which basically means the muzzle is pointed down and to the left. The "low ready" position is raised up a bit higher than than, and "high ready" is what it sounds like.

I couldn't get the hang of it at first. Instead of the tactically appropriate palm-up grip on the underside of the muzzle, my left hand felt more natural on top of the muzzle, palm down. The correct hold felt awkwardly twisted.

By Thursday, I noticed I was carrying the rifle the right way, without a second thought. Amazing what four days will do.

No comments: