Friday, November 18, 2011

Manas Is Nice

If I had to describe my current location (the Manas Transit Center) in one word, I'd have to go with "primitive" (i.e. latrines, tents, etc) Or maybe "rainy." Or "former Soviet republic." Or, what's the opposite of cushy? But actually, the graffiti artist who penned the sentiment in this picture (taken inside one of the aforementioned latrines) isn't far off base.

Manas actually IS kind of nice, in a rainy, austere, Soviet sort of way. They've got internet access, showers and even a couple flush toilets if you know where to look. The all-you-can-eat food is decent and there's plenty to do when you're not busy getting briefings and picking up more gear (MORE gear? Seriously, how am I gonna haul all that stuff?). There are pool tables, a handful of small movie "theaters" and lots of computer games. There's even a little library and a chapel.

I have more pictures but for some reason I'm having a difficult time posting them here. I guess all you get for now is the latrine graffiti. I'll try with the pictures again later. Come to think of it, that's not a bad metaphor for my Manas experience so far.

All in all, it's been a smooth start to things - except for the fact that they lost one of my bags and I spent about an hour wandering around in the rain at 3am looking for it. Here's hoping they find it before I catch my next flight... whenever that is. The nice thing is that I had a buddy who stuck with me for that hour in the rain, helping me in the fruitless search for a bag that may not even be in this country (yet).

So yeah, Manas is nice. And each day gets me one day closer to coming home... which is even nicer!

No comments: