Friday, April 20, 2012

New Lunch

OK, I know I just said I've pretty much run out of new experiences. Turns out that wasn't entirely accurate.

A few days ago, I had a quite tasty lunch at an Afghan restaurant located right next to the US Embassy... and unbelievably, it was my first time eating there. I'm so embarrassed I didn't make it over there sooner & more often.

See, I really like Afghan food. And there's a fantastic little Afghan restaurant near my house in Virginia - wonderful food, can't wait to eat there again soon. But during my time in Kabul, most of my meals have been served in the DFAC. I really haven't eaten a lot of local cuisine.

Part of the reason is that the DFAC is close by and free. In contrast, the Afghan restaurant is about a 10 minute walk and my lunch cost a whopping $5 for more food than I could eat. When the weather was cold and snowy, walking over to the Embassy was rather unappealing. But now that the temp's are fine and everything is dry, I think I'll do it more often. Definitely worth the ten minutes and five bucks.

1 comment:

LookingUp said...

My hubby and I eat at that Afghan restaurant near your house all the time! It used to be a Pizza Hut, and my parents took me there when I was a kid. I was very upset when it became an Afghan place, and it took me forever to discover it. But I'm so glad I did because it's now one of my favorite restaurants!
~Carol