Monday, April 2, 2012

Writing Update

One of my goals for this deployment was to get some writing done. Specifically, I wanted to expand beyond writing for Defense AT&L magazine. I'd published 60-ish articles there and felt it was time to broaden my horizons, particularly since AT&L decided to stop printing and mailing actual magazines and is instead just posting the PDF's on their website.

So... how'd that go? Here's the rundown:

Two articles for National Defense magazine (here's the other one)
Two posts for Time magazine's Battleland blog.
One article for Armed Forces Journal (coming out soon!)
One article for the 2012 British Army Yearbook (to be presented to the British House of Commons in June)
One article for Analog magazine - REJECTED! Yup, that's all part of being a writer
One article for Mental Floss - still waiting for a reply - another fun part of being a writer

Didn't get paid for any of those, but that's alright. I'm getting some ideas (and my name!) out there into the internetz, and maybe someday I'll get paid for stuff I write.

And speaking of that, I've got about 30,000 words done on a currently untitled book about defense acquisition. Not sure what sort of publishing route I'm going to take on that one, but I'm thinking about using Kickstarter to generate some support.

What's still in the works? Well, finishing the book, for starters. And I really should get working on the novel for my kids. I'm going to try again with Mental Floss, under the assumption that the original submission isn't going to make the cut. Planning to write something new for Battleland, and maybe something for SIGNAL magazine.

But with less than 45 days left, I'm not sure how much more stuff I'll get done before I head back home!

2 comments:

Gabe said...

Hey,

I didn't know that DAT&L stopped doing a real mag? That stinks. Well, to new horizons I guess.

I wonder if the book you're referring to is the Big Acq Guide? Just wondering (let me know by e-mal).

The SIGNAL guys seem cool!

LookingUp said...

That is AWESOME! Congratulations on getting printed in so many notable publications!
~Carol