Monday, March 26, 2012

Good News!

I'm an optimist by nature, and I generally think things in Afghanistan (for example) aren't as bad as they sometimes sound (same goes for things in the US, for that matter). The news has a well-known bias towards disaster, with the whole "if if bleeds, it leads" metality.

So, I was pretty happy when I recently heard some encouraging news about progress that's being made for Afghan women. Specifically:

In 2001, there were 50,000 girls in school. That number is now over 3 million.


The life expectency for women in 2012 is 20 years higher than it was in 2001.

Yes, there's a lot of progress still to be made here. There are still plenty of problems with poverty, illiteracy and the like. But some things are better - MUCH better - than they were 10 years ago. And that's a good sign. Now the trick is to keep those trends going...

1 comment:

Jake said...

That is news I would like to share! Do you have a source I can cite?