Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stuff I'm Looking Forward To

And now, a somewhat random list of odd things I'm looking forward to, once I get back to the states.

1) Using my right front pocket. That's where I used to keep my keys and a pen, but these days that pocket is entirely blocked by the pistol on my belt. Hard to get in there, so I've moved stuff to my left pocket.

2) Paying for a meal. I know, I know, three free meals a day sounds like a good deal, but like they say, he who pays the piper calls the tunes. Since I'm not paying, I don't have much say in what goes on my plate. Yes, they have two or three entrees at a time, but that's different than being able to a) pick a restaurant and b) pick something off a menu.

3) On that note, Variety. Every day out here is pretty much the same. Yes, Sunday is church and Friday is a half-day, but even then those days end up being a lot like Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays... you get the picture.

4) Also on that note, I'm looking forward to saying something other than "See you tomorrow" at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, my team is great and I love them. But how cool will it be to say "See ya in a couple days" for a change?

5) Barefoot showers. You really don't want to take a shower here without flip flops or some other type of aquatic-friendly footwear on, although some guys do inexplicably leave their flip flops outside the shower stall (seriously?!?). Guess they don't want to get them wet? But it'll be nice to have a shower where I don't need flip flops.

6) Real buildings. Most of the buildings I'm in - both to work and to sleep - are constructed out of these 8 x 18 containers stacked on top of each other. The HQ building has real walls, but its construction is so rough that it doesn't feel like much of a step up.

Of course, there's plenty of other things I'm looking forward to, but that's some of the less obvious stuff.

3 comments:

BethTgood said...

Hi Dan. I just wanted to let you know that I've been enjoying your blog very much. You know my husband, Sean Coghlan, from work.

I also wanted you to know that when I was deployed (many years ago, with the Navy), my friends and I spent HOURS planning the restaurants we would visit and meals we would eat when we got home. So I totally get that.

Sharron said...

I hope in your years in NOVA you've discovered Sweetwater Tavern. Let me recommend that you put it at the TOP of your restaurant list when you get back. We've never had a bad meal there, and the flourless chocolate waffle is particularly DELISH! Making me hungry for it just typing this. We try to get there whenever we get back to visit that area, but the opportunities are much too few and far between!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks to both of you! Glad you're enjoying the blog - and yes, I'm familiar with Sweetwater. But at this point, I'll be happy to go anywhere at all. :)