Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rest In Peace, My Friend

On Friday, a Turkish helicopter crashed in Kabul, killing all 12 aboard. This morning I found out one of those guys was a friend of mine.

Maj Sukur Bagdatli was my counterpart over at Camp Warehouse. He ran one of the many regional Joint Visitor's Bureaus that I work with on a daily & weekly basis, and was one of the sweetest, friendliest guys I've met over here. All the Turks I've known have been remarkably generous and full of hospitality. Sukur stood out even among that crowd.

He'd recently come back from an R&R trip to France with his wife and 3-year-old daughter. He brought me back some Turkish coffee, a copper coffee pot and a set of two elegant coffee cups. A month previous to that, he'd brought a big box of baklava to my office, which I think my team devoured in about 30 minutes.

Since we were based out of two different camps in the Kabul area, I'd only met Sukur face to face three or four times. Most of our discussions were on VTC or email. But he'd invited me and my office to go to his camp for a Turkish dinner this evening. I couldn't believe it when I saw his name on the list of the crash victims.

Sukur was due to finish his deployment in early April.

No comments: