Friday, December 2, 2011

I Get Around

I walk on a lot of gravel around here at the ISAF HQ compound.

I don't know if you have much experience walking on gravel for extended periods of time, but it's an odd, slightly-off-balance feeling. I'm sure it's a great way to strengthen my ankles.

And when I'm not walking on gravel, I'm leaping over rough terrain like this picture.

But I also walk down the middle of the street pretty often (since, as I said, the alternative is gravel). Don't get nervous - the middle of the street is safer than it might sound, because the camp is a walking camp. The speed limit for vehicles is 5 kpm, so basically the vehicles don't go any faster than the pedestrians. Plus, each one has a ground guide walking in front of it (fully decked out in body armor, weapons, sunglasses and those curly wire ear buds like a Secret Service agent - yeah, they're your basic bad a$$).

This doesn't mean it's impossible to get hit by one of these cars, just that reasonable measures are taken to prevent such an impact.

So, it's nice that I don't have a long commute by train or car. I kinda like being able to walk around everywhere. But boy, I do miss sidewalks.

No comments: