Monday, December 5, 2011

Keeping In Touch

One of the best things about life at ISAF HQ is that we have (free!) internet access in our rooms. I'm able to do video chats with Kim pretty much every day, which is fantastic.

The bummer is that the internet connection tends to be a bit slow and more often than not, the image looks like this. Either that or there's something psychedelic in the water over here.

Apparently the video signal from my end comes through alright, so Kim doesn't have the pleasure of watching my colors change like magic. Maybe I should send her some of that water.

I'm really not complaining - it's a million times better than not being able to see her, sometimes the image is clear, and some of my buddies at other camps pay $70/mo for connections that are just as bad.

Given the time difference, I don't get to see the kids as often. They're either sleeping or at school when I'm awake and available to call (bedtime here is lunchtime there, so that's when we talk most). But on weekends we're usually able to work in some time.

Anyway, when I think about the wartime experiences of the past (and I'm talking 5 or 6 years ago even), the ability to have real-time video is pretty darn amazing.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, good. You got my best side. Thanks! BTW, there are plenty of shots of you like this too, but you're right- It's so much better than the alternative.