Friday, December 9, 2011

This Is My Rifle, This Is My Gun

One of the major adjustments to camp life is the requirement to be armed at all times (except when I'm at the gym). In keeping with the regulations, I carry a 9mm Beretta everywhere (I've also got an M4 rifle locked in a case under my bed). I'm not a gun guy at all. Until I went to CAST in October, it had been 17 years since I'd even touched a gun. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Let's try on all 3 at once!
Packing heat sounds cool in theory, but frankly it's sort of a pain 'cause there's really no good way to carry one. I started out using a leg holster for my pistol, 'cause that what they gave me, but I was constantly hitching it up and it always felt like it was pulling my pants down... which also isn't as cool as it sounds. 

Then I got my hands on a shoulder holster, like the detectives in Castle wear (love that show!), but by the end of the day it felt heavy on my shoulders and got a little sweaty, so I decided I sorta hated that too. 

Now I'm wearing a belt holster, which I picked up at the bazaar for $5. I don't love it, but it's my favorite so far because it's the least instrusive and lightest feeling of the three. The only tricky thing is that it doesn't clip on to my belt - I have to thread my belt through a loop and that makes for some awkward belt-related moments from time to time. As far as I can tell, just tucking it into my waistband would be frowned upon.

Happily, there is no magazine in my pistol 99% of the time. I only put a clip in when I leave camp (i.e. when I walk over to Camp Eggers on Fridays for Steak Night), and then it comes right out when I get through the security gate. Except when it didn't.

The Belt Holster
On my first trip to Eggers, I went to the clearing barrel to unload the pistol and for the life of me I couldn't remember how to remove the mag. Naturally, there were 3 or four people watching me fumble around, which didn't help. I eventually found the button and successfully unloaded the pistol. Thankfully it was dark and probably nobody could see my red cheeks. 

A few days later, feeling jaunty and comfortable, I pressed the eject button a little too soon and dropped the magazine on the ground. Oops! Unbeknownst to me, it scooped up some sand when I retrieved it from the ground and later that day I noticed my pistol made a gritty, scratchy sound when I racked it back to clear it. So... that night in my room I decided I'd better clean the darn thin. You guessed it, I could not remember how to take it apart. Thanks to Mr Google, I figured it out and it's all clean.

Whew!

I'm pretty sure I've figured it out now. I can load, unload, clear and clean the thing. I've got a holster that's mostly comfortable. I don't think I'll ever get used to carrying it, and thankfully the only scenarios where I would have to actually fire the thing are exceedingly rare. But for now, it's just one more part of life at Kabul.

4 comments:

Phil said...

um, Dan, your Airman's Manual has nice pictures showing you how to clean your weapon...

we used to clean ours weekly in the office with a very loud and clear warning that the "racking sound" you were about to hear was due to a weapon cleaning event, nothing to be concerned about.

I've got several CGOs headed your way reading your blog; one at CAST right now. Another said, "isn't that the Death Star guy?"

Take care and keep your cranium down!

Eileen said...

Dan even tho this is about one of my least favorite subjects (guns) I admit I had to laugh. (and a vision of Barney Fife digging in his shirt pocket for his bullet popped into my head ;) Here's hoping you never have to use those weapons

Unknown said...

Good point, Phil! They did give me one of those manuals... and clever boy that I am, I keep it stored in the locked container with my rifle. When I went to clean my pistol, I'd completely forgotten about it. D'oh!

I know, I know, you probably thought I'd stay up late each night reading it, like all the rest of the guys around here. Give me another few weeks and I'll probably pull it out.

@Mom - The Barney Fife comparison is even more true than you know. For the first 3 or 4 days as I was in processing, I hadn't gotten to the station where they issue ammo. So I was wandering around with an empty gun and no bullets at all. At least they gave Barney one, right?

Gabe said...

The three in one picture is awesome!!!