Saturday, December 17, 2011

Uniforms

Apparently my ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) isn't really a BU. Before I left the states the AF gave me a whole different uniform that I'm supposed to wear when I go outside the wire. It's called the ABS-G, and I wear it even when I'm just hanging around the office.

As you can see from the photo, it's the same camo pattern as the ABU. What you can't see is it's a different type of fabric that's fire resistant (thus the requirement to wear it outside the wire). It's also lighter and more comfortable and has velcro around the ankles so we don't have to blouse our boots. That's why I wear it pretty much every day, even though it's on the baggy side and looks kinda dumpy (note: the lump on my right hip is my pistol). Still, since I can't wear it in the States so I figured I'd better get Uncle Sam's money's worth.

Instead of a bunch of patches, the ABS-G has a single aircrew-style velcro patch with my name, ranks and service on it. So that's different, and frankly it's triggering a little uniform envy on my part. So many of the other nations around here have cool looking uniforms with multiple unit patches, cool insignias, colorful berets, and even uniforms that look like they fit. Of course, not all camo is enviable. My Romanian buddy gets teased a little because his pattern looks sort of like a giraffe.

On the plus side, I do get to wear a pretty nifty hat. It's alternately called a Boonie Cap or a Floppy Hat. I don't have a real strong feeling about how it looks, but since they issued it to me and I can't wear it back in the states, you bet I'm going to wear the heck out of it over here. Just because I can.


Another uniform feature you don't see in the states is these little light fobs, usually attached to a button hole (that's my original ABU in the photo on the right). It's a convenient way to carry some light for those moments when we're walking around over uneven terrain in the dark. I do that more often than I'd prefer to, and I confess it feels kinda cool to wear that light.

Supposedly, I'm going to be issued a whole other uniform, called the OCP or Multicam pattern. It's an Army uniform that a lot of AF and Navy people also wear (and the British camo looks just like it as well). I haven't confirmed that they're going to issue that to me, but if they do I think that'll mean a whole new set of jackets, new body armor & helmet cover and (yay!) a full set of interesting patches to wear. If that happens, I'll be sure to post photos.

No comments: