Sunday, January 15, 2012

How To Have Fun At ISAF

With so many different nations serving here at ISAF, I've enjoyed learning how to say hello in new ways. But what's really fun is greeting my international friends in a different language... than the one they actually speak.
 
For example, I like to say bon jour to the Germans and guten tag to the French. It's hilarious.
 
Alright, I don't actually do that, but it would be funny to try sometime. One thing I do say is merhaba to the Turkish troops. That always gets a big surprised face, because the Turks don't expect an American to know anything in their language. Following it up with nasilsinez (how are you?) tends to result in an invitation to drink Turkish coffee and/or a gift of a box of Turkish baklava (which my guys devoured in 30 minutes) or a big bag of Turkish hazlenuts. Turks are awesome!
 
So I'm following in my Dad's footsteps as I collect little phrases in as many different languages as I can find. Working with this international crew is definitely one of the highlights of being here.

1 comment:

Kathy Z said...

I like it how these small things do make a difference !