Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Teh Kittehs!

I think I already mentioned that there are a lot of cats running around the ISAF compound. This is one of the scruffier-looking specimens, although I think the kitty who hangs out under the stairs by my office is a close second.

They're hard working cats, chartered to keep the place free of vermin. I haven't actually seen them catch anything, but I also haven't seen any critters, so they must be working.

UPDATE: Just today, I saw a black kitty running along with something small and furry in its mouth. It was being chased by a tabby who I'm sure was intent on teaching the black kitty about the virtues of sharing.

As you might imagine, we're not supposed to pet them. The ISAF vet clinic does give them checkups and vaccines and stuff, and a few even wear collars, but all the same, there's no guarantee they don't have some nasty local bug that would love to get passed along to a person.

Of course, the cats don't know they're not pets and they're not averse to asking for a little affection. Still, I always wince a little when I see someone sitting on the sidewalk petting a local feline.

We've also got a couple dogs here, trained to sniff for explosives (they search cars, etc). They are some of the most energetic, happy dogs I've ever seen. Not sure if they'll sit still for a photo, but I'll see what I can do.

No comments: