Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thoughts Of A Military Fashion Victim

Hard At Work
Modeling The OCP


I'm enjoying my new OCP uniform (aka multicam) - but it's the third type of uniform I've worn in the last two months.

It's actually an Army uniform that the AF and Navy also wear over here (and it's the same basic pattern as what the Brits wear). Apparently the plan is for all the Americans in Afghanistan to wear it, but I'm not sure they'll get around to issuing them to everyone before we leave in 2014.

This uniform differs from my AF-issued ABS-G uniform in several ways beyond the obvious pattern and color. For example, it's got a button fly and a zipper shirt - the ABS-G is the opposite. It has patches on the arms, which I really like. The pocket layout is handier and better than on the ABS-G's. The fabric is lighter (but still warm) and the overall cut just fits better. The ABS-G always felt a little dumpy, while the OCP uniform has a more tailored look.

Sadly, I won't be able to wear it back in the States. From what I can tel, the Army and Navy guys can't either - it's only authorized to wear in Afghanistan. Would now be a bad time to mention that the customs form on the box my OCP's were shipped in listed the value of the contents at $2300? Yikes! If I'd known that, I don't think I'd have requested them.

I'm going to give one set to my buddy Jon the Chaplain, so that takes the sting out a little... but wow, man, these duds aren't cheap.

Can't say I understand the decision to limit OCP's to Afghanistan. This means I'll only get 4 months of use out of it, although given how rough the laundry is around here, maybe four months is as long as they'll be serviceable.

I'd love to be able to wear this one all the time, 'cause they're WAY better than the AF ABU's we usually wear. Maybe at some point they'll make the change and have us all wearing this every day, regardless of location, but most likely I'll be out of uniform entirely by the time that happens. I guess we'll see, and in the meantime I'll get as much use and enjoyment out of them as I can.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Nice uniform, but I'll bet you're missing wearing Blues on Monday...or not.

Phil said...

that upper lip is looking mighty clean shaven! where's the last day of your 'stache picture?