Monday, January 9, 2012

The 'Stache

Day 2
As a dude, I have always felt a certain obligation to grow facial hair at some point in my life, just because I can. However, in my house a scruffy face is understandably an invitation to not get kisses, so I make a point of shaving regularly. 

Being deployed seemed like a good opportunity to grow a mustache without too many repercussions and without imposing too much scruff on the delicate flowers I share a home with. Plus, I recently re-watched A Fish Called Wanda, and Kevin Kline's mustache just begged to be copied. Therefore, as previously announced right here on this very blog, on January 1st I launched the Great Mustache Experiment... mostly for the photo opportunities it might provide.

Day 8
For the first day or two, not much happened. But after a week, the thing has definitely established a presence on my face. It is still smallish, as mustaches go. Certainly nowhere near the Tom Sellek category, but it is unmistakable... and unavoidable.

 Frankly, I got tired of seeing it sitting there pretty quickly. For that matter, my wonderfully patient wife wasn't too fond of it from Day 2.

Originally I'd envisioned keeping it for a month, but by Day 8 I pretty much decided 14 days would most likely be a sufficiently long tenure.
Day 8, take 2
So I'm gritting it out, watching it come in and counting the days until I can get a good photo and shave the darn thing off.

Watch this space.

2 comments:

Sharron said...

Oh I definitely think you should go for the gusto and give it a full couple of months! Just for the heck of it. (BTW, I can't remember my dad ever NOT having a mustache.)

Mark said...

Not bad for the first week, but don't throw in the towel too soon. You gotta give that baby time to grow up! At least until it is long enough to get food caught in it. In the photos it still could be mistaken for a shadow or smudge. C'mon, Magnum - give the people what they want!