Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Writing Life

One of my goals for being deployed was to get some writing done. While I don't feel entirely satisfied with my pace, when I step back and look at what I've actually pulled off so far, I guess it's not a bad stack so far.
 
The blog is the most obvious example. I like the pace and quantity. I'm not posting every day (that'd be too much), but most weeks I don't go too many days before adding something new. So I'm happy with that and I hope you're enjoying it too.
 
Magazine-wize, my last article for Defense AT&L was literally my last article for Defense AT&L. I've decided, for a number of reasons, to pursue different publishing outlets. So far, I've submitted a short 1,000 word article to National Defense Magazine (it was accepted & will be published in the next issue!) and a much longer, 4,000 word piece to Analog magazine - still waiting to hear back from them, but I'm optimistic. I've got a few other pieces in the works and a few other magazines in my sights - watch this space for updates.
 
I'm also working on two books - or maybe three, depending on how loosely we define the word "working." One is a non-fiction, no-holds-barred look at defense acquisitions. I even use a bad word (!) in one chapter, so yeah, the gloves are off. I'm about 13,000 words in to that one, and figure it'll come in around 50,000 words by the time it's finished. I'm really excited about that one.
 
The second book is the third in the Skyler series, a fantasy / adventure for my kids. I wrote a lot of it before coming here, so I've started the process of typing the manuscript, but the story itself isn't done yet so I hope to get it finished before May. I haven't exactly figured out HOW it'll end, so I really need to get my game on to bring that one home. Of all my projects, that's the one I feel the most behind about. OK, it's the only one that feels behind.
 
Anyway, the third book is more hypothetical. It's a military novel, sort of a dark comedy ala Catch-22, only with more bureaucracy. And hackers. It's set in the Pentagon and Afghanistan (imagine that!), although I don't plan for it to be as autobiographical as it might sound. I've only got a few pages and sketches & scribbles put together, so we'll see if anything comes of that at all before I head home.
 
Ok, enough blog stuff. Time to work on a book (or two).

2 comments:

Deb said...

Too fun about all your writing there! I was thinking how cool it would be for you to make THIS part of your military adventure into a book ~ and you already were! :)

And, I for one am always watching this space for a new post!

LookingUp said...

Keep me posted on what magazines you're writing for these days! I want to continue to read Dan Ward articles!
~Carol